Skip to main content

Indie Game: The Movie

I watched a movie of developing indie games recently, here are some general questions and answers of the film:

1. What are some of the difference between "big games" and "independent games" in terms of style/concepts and how they are made?

Some of the main differences between "big games" and "independent games" include the budget, workforce size, motivation, idea "filters" and the time it takes to develop. Big games are almost always supported or created entirely by a large corporations that can allow for large budgets to make games. This results in a large work force relative to indie games. As expected by large companies, the motivation for making these large games is often to make as much profit as possible and to allow for sequels. In the film, they also comment on the idea that large corporations also have to have game ideas that are "smooth and polished", to allow for the largest audience possible. To do this, the production of theses games have "filters" that make sure any concepts are not too obscure. Finally, the large workforce allows for the time period of even very sophisticated games to be relatively short. In contrast, indie games have next to no budget when it comes to developing games, except for games which are follow ups to earlier successes. Even so, they always keep only a small group of developers, which has its pros and cons. The small budget often allows for the game to be created for the purpose of creating a great game, with profit coming after. The smaller workforce or development crew also allows for flexibility in the concepts that are the bases for the game. However, this also leads to a longer time required for the game.

2. What are some of the difficulties the developers in the film had to overcome?

In the film, the indie game developers had to overcome obstacles such as their small budget, small workforce, mean comments, game release deadlines and overall personal issues. Both the developers of Super Meat Boy and Fez in the movie suffer from the lack  of money as they often spend all their time working on the game,eliminating their chance to have a job and sustain the game's creation. The games are also similar with their small work force which puts a lot of work onto a person and forces them to know all the aspects of a game. Because of the pace at which the game is worked on, it causes fans who are anticipating the game to become frustrated and outwardly aggressive to game creators in the form of mean comments. In addition to this, the game also has to be rushed sometimes to allow for better sales in events or just set release dates. All this leads to the designer(s) of the game to have anxiety as they work on their game, always feeling like it is going to fail as a game. They also have other issues such as the severing of relationships because of the commitment and time it takes to build the game.

3. What do you think you would like about working on an indie (independent) game? What do you think you might not like?

I think I would like the experimentation of the concepts of the game the most as they'd allow me to get creative and have fun at first. I would also definitely appreciate the way it would allow for me to work with the comfort of home. I'd also appreciate the creative freedom that I would have making a game. I definitely would not like the idea of working on a small budget as it would likely mean a death sentence to my "career" if it failed. The way it would take away from my quality of life would also suck as  it would not motivate me at all. Also, it would be bad to spend hours a day sitting in front of a computer.

4. What is some advice you could offer to someone who is trying to create their own game, based on what you learned in the film?


For creators making games, I would recommend actually watching the film to understand what they are actually committing to. If they were making a "big game", I'd tell them to follow their superiors otherwise they'd get fired, unless they want to make an indie game on their own. If they were making an indie game, I would advise them to get themselves enough money to last them for a few years and hire some people.

5. For the developers, what is the best part of completing the creation of a game?


For the game developers, the best part of completing the creation of a game would be, I think, to be able to put their game and ideas out into the world and sharing it. Allowing the burden of a game to be lifted off their backs.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

GameMaker - Asteroids - Part C

I've now finished the Asteroid and the google drive link is  here . Like before, the tutorials were a little fast paced for me but I managed to keep up by asking for help or re-watching the videos. I also, again, found that I made several typing errors especially when I though I knew what I was doing and did not follow the tutorials.This time however, I had problems with trying out some new ideas that were not used in the videos and which I came up with myself. I wanted to assign different image indexes of the same sprite to different on objects. This was a little confusing for a while, but with a little help and eventually realizing that I couldn't use a shortcut got me to get what I wanted. Other than that I made some artistic changes in the way the background, spaceship and asteroids looked. I also tried to change the mechanics of the game, in this case, by making the bullets that shoot out of the ship what propel the ship.

Pixel Art

I decided to recreate the Delorean from the Back To The Future trilogy in the form of pixel art, as it was this school that honours Michael J. Fox and his donations to this school and as he stars in the movie. Making the pixel art, I used skills from last year and used an image of the modified Delorean and a picture of lines of fire that is iconic with the vehicle. Pixel Art: the images I used as inspiration:

Scratch Level 4 - Make Your Own Game

My Game link:  https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/191531958/#player 1: Programming this game, I came across several problems, some I found fixable with others not being possible to fix. Some of the problems were with the characters's motion and others with the controls of the game. I found that a player could constantly squat and hold down the fire button which was hard to counter, which was removed by programming with the <not __> block. I also found found that the characters were returning to costumes that made them look like they were turning back and forth which I found was, however, unsolvable in certain cases although it was possible with others by programming entire buttons to do a more advanced motion and not a combination of them. A character selection screen was also another one o my problen with how complicated it  2: I was able to get a basic understanding of the programming of the controls with projectile attacks and the backdrop and the point system from tu