Skip to main content

Game designer skills

Mathematics:
I believe I would have skills in the mathematics section of game design. I find math simple to understand and relatively easy to remember as little concepts like multiplication and algebra can make up one large and complex equation. I also find risk in games like poker interest me as they force you to think and make the best choices for yourself. I could also apply my knowledge for things like input-output equations that would help come up with scoring systems that would take into account things like time or speed. Math could also help if i had to do patches for games to change certain things which, if collect enough information, I can use math to fix.

Cinematography:
I believe that I could be of use in the cinematography parts of game design as it works with what I learned in media arts 8 with the placement of the camera and the different shots that come with making a movie. I have also seen videos that have taught me about things like blocking and how to set up scenes in different ways. I think that my previous knowledge would allow me to know where to place the camera in cut scenes and transition from scene to scene. I also think that working with both the music and the virtual camera in most modern games would allow me to synchronize them and have the player feel certain emotions. Cinematography could also allow for making references to things like people or other games which i believe I could do well at.

Brainstorming:
Brainstorming nowadays is getting more difficult with more mainstream games setting cliches that make a game seem boring. However by combining ideas from movies, books and other video games I believe that I could help brainstorm ideas when it comes to creating whole universes in video games. I also find comic books interesting, another form of story telling that often works with very different realities that can give possible ideas for protagonist, antagonists and places. These forms of story telling also use tropes, and forms of story telling that can really elevate a story. these ideas that in many ways come from older creations, could have "Easter eggs" and details that serve as meta-commentary or references that people like to spot nowadays.

These are three skills I believe will help me in game design although i do need to work on other skills as well.

Public Speaking:
Public speaking has always been a struggle for me and still continues to be, this would make it hard if I ever had to present any ideas or concepts to the class. It could also present a problem if I ever had to manage a group of people and had to speak to them at the same time.I will try to better my skill at public speaking by putting myself in situations that would force me get used to similar situations.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

GameMaker - Asteroids - Part C

I've now finished the Asteroid and the google drive link is  here . Like before, the tutorials were a little fast paced for me but I managed to keep up by asking for help or re-watching the videos. I also, again, found that I made several typing errors especially when I though I knew what I was doing and did not follow the tutorials.This time however, I had problems with trying out some new ideas that were not used in the videos and which I came up with myself. I wanted to assign different image indexes of the same sprite to different on objects. This was a little confusing for a while, but with a little help and eventually realizing that I couldn't use a shortcut got me to get what I wanted. Other than that I made some artistic changes in the way the background, spaceship and asteroids looked. I also tried to change the mechanics of the game, in this case, by making the bullets that shoot out of the ship what propel the ship.

GameMaker - Asteroids Part A

I began making a game based on or similar to the game Asteroids. There is a  link  in this blog post to see what I have done so far. Making this game there were a few issues I ran into, one of which was the coding the actions to the events. To fix this, I asked for some help, after which I learned that you could look at the tab that would pop up for where to make the fixes. I also, had found that the concepts that the tutorials introduced were fairly confusing, which I solved by going back and re-watching it.

Pixel Art

I decided to recreate the Delorean from the Back To The Future trilogy in the form of pixel art, as it was this school that honours Michael J. Fox and his donations to this school and as he stars in the movie. Making the pixel art, I used skills from last year and used an image of the modified Delorean and a picture of lines of fire that is iconic with the vehicle. Pixel Art: the images I used as inspiration: